Monday, April 25, 2011

KINDERGARTEN KARMA

by robert mangold


It feels so good to have doors and windows open during the day! Soon can have windows open at night too. Flies come in, flies go out. They hang around too long and a spider gets them.  Leaving windows open without screens all summer long, I have very few nuisances from flies. It feels good not to put on a coat to go to the mailbox. With the cost of heating oil and kerosene going up, up, up, what can I say but come on global warming. This present inflation is about profits, certainly not the working man's wages, which will stay the same. Keeping the working man's wages down keeps profits up. But what is that compared to a springtime mountain landscape? It's another kind of landscape, the invisible landscape of money changing bank accounts by computer, by mind, in a steady flow like ocean currents all around the world. Without the flow, as in blood stream, suddenly you have a corpse.



We of the working class have had our loose spending tightened up. Necessities continue to increase in expense and our income doesn't go up anywhere near proportionally. At the same time that we're turnips being squeezed for blood, the whole economy thing is fluid as air and essentially amounts to commonly agreed upon beliefs about money holding the system together. Everybody believes it, so it's so. Is that so with gravity? No. Though that's how it has a name. I don't think anybody disputes gravity calling it just a theory. It's the same as the law of karma. What goes up must come down. What goes out must come back. I'm rubber, you're glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks on you. It must have been in kindergarten I learned that. Not from a teacher, from another kid. It might have been the first thing I learned in school. The very first thing I learned, the law of karma.



The only thing that mattered about saying I'm rubber, you're glue, is it infuriated the other. Somebody, another kid, says something unflattering to you and you say that. There wasn't a good comeback for it, so it usually was the final word. A few years later, maybe 2nd grade or 3rd, it was no longer funny. It was too childish, too kindergarten. I'm not going to schizz off into everything I know I learned in kindergarten. Maybe so, maybe not. I tend to doubt it. Seems to me, I learn things every day. But there it is, perhaps the most important learning in one's educational experience, the first thing I learned in school and didn't even get it until an embarrassing number of years later. The most important natural law there is to be aware of. Gravity takes care of itself. Karma goes with decision making.



Becoming aware of karma as it works out, not as a mystical foreign word, is right in there with the root of self-awareness and can be the beginning of conscious living. Once I caught on that I create what comes to me by what I put out in my interactions with others, worries and concerns began to fall away. Like do unto others as you would have them do unto you, in church it came across as an order, a rule you better go by or Jesus is going to be unhappy with you and he just might let the devil have you. Or in preacher terms, it's a commandment. You better...or else. When I finally got it, it turned out to be just good sense, because they will do unto me as I have done unto them. And I will do unto someone in turn what that person did unto me. Revenge, the theme of countless Asian action films. I'm thinking when something like that becomes a commandment you better obey, my response is never to think about it, even to wonder what it means. When I see it as something practical that works as surely as gravity and is just as invisible, it becomes a tool I can use consciously to make my life better.



In my own experience, I've found as I carry for my guiding light to treat others right, I get treated right. It's not 100% because some people don't ever treat anybody right. It just goes with living in a world that is the collective human mind. When somebody treats me right, I tend to make a mental note of it regarding that individual for first chance I get, I'll treat him/her right. Get them back. Same as we make a mental note when somebody does us wrong. Like when Steven Seagal says, "I'm gonna find who killed Bobby Lupo." "What you gonna do when you find him?" "I'm gonna kill him." Whatever weapon somebody comes at Steven Seagal with, he takes it and does to them with it what they set out to do to him. Mr Instant Karma Man. When he starts, it's like karma itself has taken human form and set out to bring things in the world back to balance. Evidently, that's what karma is about, keeping balance.



*

No comments:

Post a Comment